Green Phoenix is designed to be affordable,
preserve the health of residents, conserve natural resources, and
reduce both energy and transportation costs. These benefits are
- An integrated design process that
involves the entire community.
- Building with sustainable materials,
that is, locally-produced and with low embedded energy.
- Using materials such as carpets, paints
and mould-resistant finishes to reduce health-endangering toxins.
- Reduced fossil fuel use through
solar or geothermal power.
- Installing water and energy saving
fixtures and appliances.
- Locating buildings and equipment close to
existing services and public
- Reduced storm water run-off by
collection or dispersal on site.
- Reduced construction waste and garbage
- High quality indoor air.
- Owner and resident training and
The Green GlobeTM
Green Phoenix intends to design the project
to obtain Green GlobeTM "Gold"
certification. Green GlobesTM is a
rating system for green construction that originated in Britain and
which is gaining acceptance in North America. Credits are awarded for
satisfying all of the above goals. The development team intends to
demonstrate that affordable housing can be built economically if
properly designed from the beginning.
A community resource
- Green Phoenix is intended to be a “green
construction” resource to the entire community.
- The entire development and construction
process is being videotaped. One or more videos will be produced after
occupancy to be made available to other groups planning
- The finished project will have plaques
and signs describing the ‘green’ features.
- This web site will be maintained to
document the construction and green performance of the completed